RE: [linux-audio-dev] Quick and efficient sound daemon idea -- why not do it this way?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Quick and efficient sound daemon idea -- why not do it this way?
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 21:37:08 EEST

First off, thanks for the reply...

> i don't understand why you keep asking about this when esd exists and
> when abramo has already written the mix plugin for alsa-lib? if you
> don't like the qualities of esd, why not take that up on the
> development list for esd?

Because esd is dead (or just about there).

> if you want to try out the mix plugin, why
> not write to abramo and gently nag him to do something with it.

Ahhh, the ominous mix plugin... You said it yourself the best -- Abramo
is the only one who knows how to get it to work, and in such state it is
as good to me as a Porsche my next-door neighbor has.

Sarcasm aside, esd sucks -- introduces all kinds of pops and clicks when
engaging a new stream or disengaging streams, artsd cannot share the
input (or at least I was unable to get it to do that), and does not work
with all apps across the board (esp. when it comes to input sharing),
Jack works only with Jack apps and from what I heard, does not tolerate
many simultaneous apps running concurrently, furthermore it permanently
drops a stream if it is late for whatever reason, which basically means
it is useless for the real-time performance (last thing I need in the
middle of the concert for JACK to drop one of my streams -- assuming I
am only interested in using JACK apps, which is a huge assumption in
itself), and this mix plugin is yet to be seen at work.

I have no idea why you are mentioning Portaudio, when it again
introduces a problem of porting apps into its API, and that again poses
the same problem of excluding a lot of older audio apps that do not have
that framework implemented.

So, yes, sigh, I am discussing something that has been addressed a
million times (prolly 999,999 out of those were initiated by me :-), but
with a reason -- regardless of recent developments, things are still NOT
working in the Linux audio world on one of the most fundamental
levels...

Regards,

Ico