Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 19:56:06 EEST

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 04:49:43 +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
> We launched RG from a desktop icon all last week. It now has
> Logic-style status messages on the splash screen while you're waiting
> for it to start and (while they can be a little naff) touches like that
> are give it a professional air if nothing else. I was also showing off

No, I agree. You're talking to the guy who spend an evening drawing cheezy
moving-needle meters in gimp ;)

> plugin and adding a drum track etc.and then burning it onto CD. The
> average person with money to spend on music tech doesn't really want to
> do too much more than that. In fact if they can get that far then
> they're really chuffed.

Maybe, but the people I'm thinking of are looking for a replacement for
thier protools+logic systems, not cubase or cakewalk.

Home users are important too, but...

> It's probably up to the bread and butter products to drive the bespoke,
> studio-end products. The complete, finished solution that does both
> ends sufficiently well will take a while to arrive (ardour releasing

I'm not sure it ever will. I dont think theres that much overlap between
protools and cubase.

- Steve