Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]
From: Peter L Jones (peter_AT_drealm.org.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 00:48:25 EEST

On Sunday 20 Oct 2002 21:38, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Peter L Jones wrote:
> > <rant> I also want to be able to do this on my current machine, a Celeron
> > 400. Jack won't run - my machine's too slow. MPlayer won't run - my
> > machine's too
>
> As for JACK requiring a +400Mhz machine, that's simply not true! I've
> run JACK just fine on a number of old <200Mhz Pentiums with no problems
> what so ever.

Exactly.

So why, having studied the docs, am I completely stumped with jack? It
refuses to play. I don't consider any solution based on a piece of software
_I_ can't operate suitable for general use.

Yes, I'm big headed maybe: I frequently overlook the glaringly obvious. I
frequently need the glaringly obvious carefully pointed out. However, jack
isn't spotting it either so either (a) jack doesn't spot the glaringly
obvious when it should or (b) it's not glaringly obvious. In either case, I
reckon this justifies the view it's not suitable for general use.

When I get time, I'll get over to the jack users list (if there is one).
Right now, I don't _need_ jack working.

-- Peter