Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] hel p for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] hel p for a levelmeter]
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 19:38:18 EEST

>There is this annoying kind of double talk in the OSS comunity: many people
>just talk about how great OSS are and how every body should start using it
>and all that kind of stuff, but as soon as you ask for some professional
>behaviour from the apps and from the developers the only answer one gets is

whoa. professional behaviour from the apps is one thing. professional
behaviour from the developers implies an exchange of money.

>"hey, we're just a bunch of volunteers, how can you be that arrogant and ask
>this feature/effort from me?".

let suppose you've ripped a copy of cubase sx from a warez site. you'd
like it do something that it doesn't do and you feel its very
important for your work. you write to steinberg and complain:

   "i've been very unimpressed by the tempo options in cubase sx"

do you think these guys will even give the time of day to finish your
message? you're using free software, you pay nothing for whatever
support you get, and you expect us to treat you the way for profit
companies treat people who actually pay them?

                                The point is this: do people here wants LAD
>to become professional or just stay a bunch of cool guys doing cools things
>in their garage?

i'll make you a deal. how about i start acting "professional" and have
you talk with 3 layers of support personnel before you come across
anyone who actually knows anything about my software, rather than
answer questions directly (and generally very promptly) myself?

                  Of course good support will mean some exchange of money at
>a moment or another but you will never get any money from the public with
>half working drivers and half done apps...

with all due respect, i feel comfortable giving out this
response. several people here on the list know that i've been working
on linux audio apps more or less full time (albeit with euro-sized
summer vacations) for 3 years with no pay. i'm very lucky that i've
been able to do this, especially because it gives me a metaphorical
big stick :)

i have no problem with people giving me good useful feedback:

  "i tried to get ardour to sync to MTC but it didn't work. it
   seemed to keep drifting in and out of sync, and then just
   gave up and stopped. i'd really like to see this work."

i have even less problem with people saying "here's some cash as a
contribution towards your work in fixing this". but showing up and
saying the equivalent of "i'm unimpressed by the sync facilities in
ardour" is rude and disrespectful.

--p