Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] hel p for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] hel p for a levelmeter]
From: Bob Ham (node_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 20:47:47 EEST

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:07:22PM -0500, STEFFL, ERIK (SBCSI) wrote:
> BTW creative provides some linux support.

Heh, no, they don't. They've provided a paper on an FX8010, a chip
that the emu10k1 "implements" or something, and they released some register
info, and that's it. Basically, afaict, what happened was that some linux
geeks at creative wrote a driver and creative decided to release it under a
load of fanfare about them loving opensource. They put up a site,
http://opensource.creative.com, and then they went back to doing what they
were doing. The geeks are still at creative. They still care about linux.
But they have managers who don't give a flying fuck, and unfortunately
they're the ones that make the decisions. Try emailing creative's techinal
support people about linux and see how much "support" you get. To quote an
email from one of the said linux geeks:

"it is the position of my management that we will not release the full
specification of the chip because doing so will reveal intellectual
property to our competitors."

Don't you just *love* that intellectual property stuff :)

I bought a creative card. I kick myself for doing so.

> Plus the sound matrix at
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/ doesn't say there are problems getting
> docs from manufacturer.

Perhaps someone should add a note.