Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 20:40:23 EEST

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 06:31:16PM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> I've not seen the DA converter problem you mention before, that's
> interesting.

What do you usually do?

> > I also have some very odd impulses lying around somewhere if
> > I can find them - made by popping balloons in and around
> > some 20' by 5' steel tanks that were in the basement of
> > a converted industrial building I used to live in.
>
> Mmmmmm. Yeah, that would be cool if you can find them. We have some old,
> linked salt water storage tanks at work that desperatly need impulses
> taking. The problem is that its really damp down there, so I didn't want
> to take monitors down, and I dont have any acceptable mics that dont need
> phantom power.

Everybody should have at least one good dynamic mic!
I've got a Sennheiser 421. An EV RE-20 would be even nicer.

> I never thought of a baloon, I was going to try a kids cap
> gun.

Didn't think of that.
Balloon pops probably have some coloration, but they're much stronger and
probably less colored than handclaps... I don't have a spark-gap
generator--I don't even know what it is really, but I've heard
those are the "proper" tool for acoustic impulses.

The problem with balloons is you have to keep blowing up more
as each one is only good for one go :)

--

Paul Winkler "Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"