Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]
From: Peter L Jones (peter_AT_drealm.org.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 21:53:09 EEST

On Tuesday 22 Oct 2002 17:42, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:14:52AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> > I can't answer this properly, but there is some issue to with mmap mode I
> > believe. It is a very small number of cards that dont work.
>
> We should compile a list of them, and maybe put it in the JACK FAQ.
>
> --PW
I'd much rather have a list of current cards that work _well_ than a lists of
cards that don't.

The current ALSA card list just says whether or not a card has a driver (and
the state of that driver). It doesn't indicate how well the card is going to
work.

I don't want to have to learn about DSPs and stuff to be able to identify a
_good_ sound card. I've currently got a shortlist for my next machine:
  * MidiMan Delta Audiophile 2496 (Envy24)
  * VideoLogic SonicFury OEM (CS4360)
  * Creative SB PCI 128 (ES1371)

I've read the specs and looked around various review sites. Nothing anywhere
tells me how well they're going to work. Or does it? Am I failing to find
some secret source of information?

All these things just make life _easier_. I want to get on with developing
code, not wondering why my hardware isn't performing. I don't _want_ to have
to learn _that_ part of the system. Because I'll only need to do it once:
when I spec the next machine. (The next time I spec a machine, everything I
found out last time will be out of date.)

-- Peter