Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 22:27:56 EEST

Peter wrote:

>On Tuesday 22 Oct 2002 17:42, Paul Winkler wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:14:52AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
>> > I can't answer this properly, but there is some issue to with mmap
>mode I
>> > believe. It is a very small number of cards that dont work.
>>
>>> We should compile a list of them, and maybe put it in the JACK FAQ.
>>
>> --PW
>I'd much rather have a list of current cards that work _well_ than a
>lists of cards that don't.
>
>The current ALSA card list just says whether or not a card has a
driver >(and the state of that driver). It doesn't indicate how well the
card >is going to work.

>I don't want to have to learn about DSPs and stuff to be able to
>identify a _good_ sound card. I've currently got a shortlist for my
>next machine:
> * MidiMan Delta Audiophile 2496 (Envy24)
> * VideoLogic SonicFury OEM (CS4360)
> * Creative SB PCI 128 (ES1371)
>
>I've read the specs and looked around various review sites. Nothing
>anywhere tells me how well they're going to work. Or does it? Am I
>failing to find some secret source of information?
>
>All these things just make life _easier_. I want to get on with
>developing code, not wondering why my hardware isn't performing. I
>don't _want_ to have to learn _that_ part of the system. Because I'll
>only need to do it once:
>when I spec the next machine. (The next time I spec a machine,
>everything I found out last time will be out of date.)

This is a good idea to have this support and you've picked the right
thread for asking for it. Currently there are only a handful of people
who have worked on the official ALSA docs. I have done 90% of the work
myself. It's great I'm learning heaps in the process and will definitely
  think about how to make it possible to add the info you require.

Unfortunately we don't often get success stories on the ALSA lists so we
don't really know how well things work until someone says that it's
broken :(

As it is I have tried to provide a feedback inteface via the notes
additions in the docs. So far it is being used but not as much as it
could be. I guess it will just take time. You can lead a horse to water...

Do you have a specific idea envisioned for how we could present the info
more effectively or a way to make more people contribute their results?
I'm listening.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol and put_symbol I think we used to have..." - Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem