Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Oct 26 2002 - 03:22:33 EEST

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 12:47:53 +0200, Tim Goetze wrote:
> the neck, usually placed exactly where the second octave is on
> an over-sized fretboard, has far less dominant harmonics than

Cheers, I really should learn how to play the thing sometime.

> >> * the attack phase is 'flat', compared to the ringing
> >> of the real thing.
> >
> >OK... could this be a property of the cliping? Or is it always there?
>
> always. i think it might be because a real valve amp sort of
> 'spreads the excess power' by turning the wave into almost
> square at this point, where the guitar signal carries a lot of
> energy. more of a limiter effect, right?

Maybe, or maybe the valve reacts to transients in some way - that could
partly be a side effect of the HP filter, emphasised by some valve effect
we haven't modelled yet.

> i just tried it before the first valve and it does help a
> good deal to have a better attack [in fact i got carried
> away strumming a funk pattern, a first time for playing the
> guitar through the box], but i'm slowly running out of cpu.

OK, the CPU problems can be improved. Looking at the rectifier I haven't
really optimised it at all. Do you have a feel for whether it should be
faster or slower?

- Steve