Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 17:18:26 EET

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 02:41:17 +0100, Tim Goetze wrote:

> forgot to ask ... you mean emulate a 'preamp', filter and
> apply a 'power amp' [and filter again] and a 'cabinet'
> stage i guess?

Yes, I'm not sure what the interrealtion between the cabinet and code is
though - I think a simple cabinet delay line + your IIR filter would be a
good place to start.

> just tried it, indeed it does. what i like especially is that
> it sounds quite 'juicy' like good distortion is supposed to.
> the attack phase is slightly better than with my previous
> setup, though there's still some auto-wah. still with the

I've fixed the wah noise in the second one I posted, it was due to a
combination of things (lack of inverters, excessive valve settings, lack
of lowcut).

> >I'm having a problem than when the input is 0, the output is infinite. I'm
> >not sure if its a result of the optimisations I did, or it it would do
> >that anyway.
>
> should be the optimization, i'm getting clean zero out for
> zero in with your last public release.

I think it was a reaction betwen the dc offset filters. Something was very
close to instability.

> i still remember the green skies a M$VC optimized POV
> binary produced, since that day i'm a bit skeptical about
> compiler optimizations.

This was more of a maths optimisation than a compiler optimisation.

- Steve