Re: [linux-audio-dev] 'simsam' - a simple sampleplayer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] 'simsam' - a simple sampleplayer
From: Nathaniel Virgo (nathaniel.virgo_AT_ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 02:33:22 EET

On Monday 28 October 2002 9:48 pm, Christian Henz wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have been working on a 'simple sampleplayer' that acts as an ALSA
> sequencer client and can be used to play for example drum samples and
> loops.

Excellent. You don't know how long I've been waiting for something like this.

> Any feedback is welcome!

On my machine, alsa mode won't work unless I'm root. When using it in JACK
mode I can only hear sound from the left-hand speaker {*}.

When in trigger mode, it doesn't seem to want to play more than one
note of the same sample at the same time -- if this has to be the case then
it would be better if the new note caused the previous one to stop rather
than not being triggered.

Also, I had to edit the makefiles to get it to compile, as my qt3 is in a
different place.

One thing that would be really nice in the future is the ability to assign
different samples to different jack outputs. Then they could all have
different effects chains applied to them in real-time in ssm or ardour or
something. It would be like having a hardware sampler with loads of outputs
and a big pile of outboard stuff.

It's an excellent tool -- I'm just beginning to imagine the possibilities...

{*} incidentally, is there any user-level documentation around about how to
do routing between different JACK apps? I understand that ardour has a
patchbay facility, but I haven't been able to figure out how to access it yet.

--Nathaniel