Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 17:58:25 EET

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 03:22:35 +0100, Tim Goetze wrote:
> comparing the frequency spectra of our setup to the amp output
> reveals that there is quite a difference. it is visible at low
> gain settings and, as expected, becomes emphasized at higher
> distortion levels.
>
> the amp output frequency spectrum changes quite noticeably the
> more gain we apply. i've uploaded plots relating to the same
> waves that are shown in '3x-driven' to

Thanks for doing that, I haven't had the time. Can you produce a spectrum
plot for the current s/w chain?

> maybe it would be possible to use two or more chebyshevs to
> create the harmonics needed to emulate this behaviour, and then
> blend between them according to the simulated gain?

It would be more efficient to just calculate the corect chebyshev in
realtime, the problem is that they have lienar CPU cost with the number of
harmonics, 20 harmonics for example will be pretty expensive. As we are
building on the existing harmonics generated by the valve sim though we
shouldn't need that many.

- Steve