Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Cheby amp code

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Cheby amp code
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 18:06:53 EET

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 04:24:19 +0100, Tim Goetze wrote:
> >Yeah, I think thats difficult, and probably not neccesary, the "hard clip"
> >from a guitar amp doesn;t look very hard to me, so I recon you could just
> >apply the shaper, plus a bit of oversampling, a LP filter and it'd be
> >fine.
>
> http://quitte.de/driven.gif
> does look like hard clipping to me (sine, shaped at maximum gain).

Yeah, that'l be allright <waves hand nonchalanantly> ;) if we were talking
square waves I'd be worried.

> went looking at some pod distortion. it seems you're right about
> the harmonic mix not being influenced by signal amplitude, it
> seems they just fade them in with more gain. an interesting fact is
> that the harmonics it generates die away before they reach 11 kHz; a

Yeah, that hints very strongly at cheap antialising (like we're planning)
- I think its fine, guitar cabinets and cones aren't that big on high
frequencies anyway.

> i'm puzzled how they do manage to come up with such a lot of
> different distortion characters though.

My current guess is different transfer functions. Do you know the phrase
"when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" ;)

- Steve