Re: [linux-audio-dev] GUIless friendly applications

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] GUIless friendly applications
From: Mike Rawes (mike_rawes_AT_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 00:42:14 EET

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 17:47:36 +0000
Steve Harris <S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 06:06:47 +0100, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> > Another possibility that might make more sense (something else I've
> > been thinking about) is a LADSPA only modular synth - as LADSPA
> > plugins are much less bound to a GUI than ssm's the interface could
> > be much more textual.
>
> Several people have discussed this idea, its one that is particularly
> close to my heart, as I love both :)

Amen to that! I've been thinking on these lines as well. I like ssm for
its speed and flexibility, and ecasound for the text interface and
design - having a core 'engine' for which multiple interfaces can be
created.

A text interface with tab completion (especially when there's a lot of
plugins in the network) would be a nice feature. Another idea which I've
seen discussed is the creation of 'meta' plugins - subnetworks 'wrapped'
into a single plugin. Combined with cut,copy,paste, you could create a
nice patch, and then decide 'I want six of them, each slightly detuned'
or something, and simply replicate the meta plugin five times.

Provided the interface to the engine is well designed, it should be
possible to create any kind of UI - even perhaps one that could be
controlled using an external MIDI device.

Realtime control of parameters such as frequency cutoff, reverb room
size and such could be via MIDI controller values. I think these allow
quite a bit of resolution - 14bit? Must check.

I'm going to go and flesh some of this out a bit more, as it's been on
my mind for quite a while. I was unsure of writing any actual code,
because there seem to be loads of modular synths about already...

Ramble over...

> Combined with Juan Linietsky's dynamic compilation idea, this would be
> very powerful, and something the closed source people can't really do.

... off to search archives for 'dynamic compilation' :)

-
Myk