Re: [linux-audio-dev] Looking for some PR stuff related to Jack

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Looking for some PR stuff related to Jack
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 06:33:54 EET

>So, I presume it is impossible to get let's say an i-p version of Jack
>running that can accept both i-p and o-o-p connections (so for instance
>Ardour would be o-o-p, while freqtweak i-p)?

no, thats completely possible. its been the design all along. as i
mentioned previously, all that is missing is something like:

          jack_client_open_inprocess (...)

its simple to write. i might even start it tonight.

the existing ALSA "driver" for example, is nothing more than an I-P
client that has also been assigned the role of "driver".

>If this were possible, then the clients could harness the potential of
>low-latency Jack, while more complex apps like Ardour would have a kind
>of a compromise. Would this be feasible?

completely.

>Alternately, you spoke of o-o-p being just not reliable enough. What
>aspect of Linux needs to improve in order for o-o-p to become as
>reliable as i-i-p?

the main issue: kernel scheduling latency
the side issue: kernel scheduling logic (probably fixed in 2.5/2.6)

--p