Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] preamp.so

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] preamp.so
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 14:03:20 EET

Lamar Owen wrote:

>On Tuesday 12 November 2002 09:49, Tim Goetze wrote:
>> more interesting is that if you feed it a sine wave, the
>> circuit *never* clips the lower lobe, it rather seems to
>> compress so the lower lobe never hits the end of the curve.
>> it does clip the lower lobe of a triangle however.
>
>This is interesting.

i'd like to understand why, but in the meantime implementing
similar behaviour is not that hard. :)

>So the SPICE sims have helped. Great! I know that SPICE is the cat's meow
>for electronic/electrical design problems, which is where I've used it in the
>past. It's just not quite fast enough to do real-time effects processing,
>even on current hardware.

yep, it's a great program, and in true grand old unix spirit,
it hides behind an unfriendly and fiendish interface. ;)

judging from execution times on this box, you'd probably need
something like a recent 32-way cluster to run a whole amp sim
in realtime.

tim