Re: [linux-audio-dev] Behaviour of write() in blocking/non-blocking mode

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Behaviour of write() in blocking/non-blocking mode
From: Greg Ward (gward_AT_python.net)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 21:27:39 EET

On 27 November 2002, rm said:
> if you can help it, you might look at alsa (alsa-project.org) and jack
> (jackit.sf.net) which is built on alsa. both are much nicer than OSS,
> and make life much easier.

Yeah, I've dabbled with ALSA in the past -- mainly because I had a
machine at work with non-standard audio hardware that was only supported
by ALSA. Don't tell my boss, but I spent half a day figuring out ALSA,
patching and rebuilding my kernel, building the utilities, and rebooting
just so I could listen to music on that machine. Ahh, those were the
days...

However, I want to make sure that the Python linuxaudiodev works
out-of-the-box for 90% of Linux users, which I guess means it has to
stick to the OSS API. (For now.)

> with respect to audio, i don't think there are defined semantics.

*sigh* I was afraid that's what the answer would be. Oh well.

Thanks --

        Greg

--
Greg Ward <gward_AT_python.net>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
If you and a friend are being chased by a lion, it is not necessary to