[linux-audio-dev] Remedy for long compile times

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Remedy for long compile times
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Thu Nov 28 2002 - 23:07:38 EET

Hi guys,

I thought I would share some info about some utilities I found recently
with regards to overly painful compile times.

We have done some fairly extensive Corba based stuff at work, the last
few months. Needless to say the compile times we have had for these
beasts are numbing. Standard solution is of course faster machines, but
there are some utils that can help if you got some extra machines at
your disposal.

Have a look at
http://gecc.sourceforge.net/
or
http://distcc.samba.org/

Both these projects (where distcc seem more mature) provide the
possibility to distribute compilations over several machines.

Another solution would be to rewrite everything in Java and use Jikes
:-D...err perhaps not, but it's amazing how fast compilations are using
java and jikes...

Regards,
Robert
- reinventor of the wheel