Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio s/w ui swallowing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio s/w ui swallowing
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 22:00:19 EET

>The world and his dog seems to be releasing macos/windows audio s/w that
>looks like 19" rack units.
>
>Anyone know enough about X to know if its possible to make X apps open
>thier main window inside a standard sized cabinet (ala Reason).

not exactly. you can pass them the ID of an X Window to draw
into. they can look it up and then use it. it won't be a top-level
window, which will create some restrictions on what they can do, and
so they have to expect this to be the case.

the program that created the toplevel window can prevent it from being
resized, i think. but every time a new app starts, the original
program will need to create a new X window for the, otherwise the
situation ends up like macos<=9, where every app can draw onto every
other app's stuff. ick.

>I'm assuming it would be ok to require the app to be a certian size and
>have explicit support, but I guess it couldn't put any restrictions on
>toolkit.

it suffers from several the usual incompatible toolkit problems, but
not quite as many. as long as the toolkit allows you to add a foreign
window, it could be made to work.

>Other than looking cool, it would actually be a useful way to keep window
>clutter down. Not that we have any 19" lookalike apps yet, but I guess we
>will do at some point.

you wish.

:))

--p

ps. just how big is a 19" lookalike going to be?