Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 04:18:23 EET

Tim Hockin wrote:

>Ok. So how does a plugin know about musical milestones, then? Suppose it
>wants to lock onto a beat edge. I agree that TICKS events are not needed,
>since if you know the sample rate (you do) and you know the tempo (you can),
>then you can extrapolate a tick-width. The tick edge is the trick. Or do
>we not worry about it and assume that the user will start things at the
>proper edge, and plugins will just need numbers of tick-widths?

i usually intersect the beat interval giving function with
the current processing cycle. i don't quite know what you
mean by milestones, it does sound like meta-information to
me (like "begin song part A here", "isolde stirbt", etc).

>I don't get what you were saying about virtual time. Let me try:
>frame-count is a global rolling counter. It never stops, unless the host
>has a special 'off' mode. Ticks is a mucial counter starting at some point,
>0, that represents the timeline (track/song/whatever). It can jump forward
>(12, 13, 165) or backward (165, 166, 1) or loop, or pause. If it is paused
>or stopped, the frame-counter is still going. Since plugins just track
>'ticks' by that, they still work.
>
>Is that correct?

it's much simpler. imagine the transport time rolling on
through a 'stop', and some plugins handling things a bit
differently.

tim