Re: [linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system
From: robbins jacob (jacobrobbins__AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 23:54:25 EET

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 12:04:23 -0800, robbins jacob wrote:
>>Alternately, we could require that event ordering has 2 criterion: -first-
>>order on timestamps -second- put voice-on ahead of all other event types.

>This is what I was assuming was meant orignally.

>However you dont have to think of them as initiasiation parameters, voices
>can have instrument wide defaults (eg. a pitch of 0.0 and and amplitude of
>0.0), and the parameter changes that arrive at the same timestamp can be
>thought of as immediate parameter changes, which they are.

True, my post was based on the assumption that there are some plugins where
a certain parameter being initialized at the beginning of the voice would
affect the voice over its entire duration. The only concrete example I can
give is velocity maps determining use of different samples in a sampler,
which doesn't apply here. Maybe a bell model where the voice-on event is
considered an impulse describes what I'm talking about; ramping up the
velocity after the voice has started has no effect. Irregardless, if a
plugin wants to use some parameters in voice initialization, it can do so
with the events timestamped at the same point as the voice-on supplying the
values for initialization. For the majority of plugins all parameters are
equal and some events just happen to coincide with voice-on events, as you
say.

--jacob robbins ....porjects, soundtank.......................