Re: [linux-audio-dev] (fwd) Unified Audio Plugin Architecture (Meeting)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] (fwd) Unified Audio Plugin Architecture (Meeting)
From: David Olofson (david_AT_olofson.net)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 00:24:00 EET

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 22.54, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > If anyone can get to this, it would be a great idea. I might even
> > consider using a frequent flyer ticket for this. not sure yet.
>
> Hrrm, Anaheim is a 6 hour drive for me (Finally! Not being in
> Europe pays off!!)
>
> > Subject: FW: [mma-members] Announcement: Item #183 Unified Audio
> > Plug-In Architecture
>
> Shall we propose XAP? :)
>
> > The meeting will be held on Sunday, January 19 from 4:30 PM -
> > 5:45 PM at the Anaheim Marriott. I'm not sure what the actual
> > conference room will be; so far it's only been designated as "MMA
> > Meeting Room A".
>
> FUCK! I'm moving that weekend and I can't change it. Any other
> California folks?
>
> Should be interesting - perhaps XAP is in vain? If a truly
> universal API appears, and it is not insane, we'd be wise to use
> it, no?

Seems like it, but I guess we'll have to see it first. If it's not
released under a BSD style or LGPL style licence, it is of little use
to us.

Also, if it isn't really usable as a complete, standalone plugin API
(I'm thinking metadata and stuff), it still requires a higher level
wrapper (XAP) to make real, usable plugins. Sounds like it's a pure,
low level DSP API, meant for use inside plugins using higher level
APIs, so I suspect it won't really function as a generic plugin API.

Either way, it sounds seriously interesting. It still has to deal
with controls, ramping, instrument control, memory management, audio
streaming and all that, so there might be some interesting solutions
to look at. (Unless it's all patented, that is... *heh*)