RE: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Sidechains, was Re: [linux-audio-announce] [ANN] swh-plugins 0.3.4

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Sidechains, was Re: [linux-audio-announce] [ANN] swh-plugins 0.3.4
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 19:21:38 EET

Steve,
   Sorry for being dense on side-chain issues, but I've shied away from
using these specific plugins inside of Ardour since I seem incapable of
figuring out on my own how the side chain gets hooked up within that
application. Is this an Ardour issue, or am I just missing some simple piece
of info that makes it obvious?

   Nominally I though the term 'sidechain' in a compressor referred to the
control signal that drives the VCA. (Or VCA software equivalent.) Many
hardware and compressors have a 'sidechain insert point' where you can apply
additional processing beyond whatever the RMS/peak detectors in the
compressor do themselves. (Or possibly even bypass those and use other
signal sources?) Many compressors (both software and hardware) allow you to
monitor the sidechain signal in some way to get better control over the
compressor. (Waves)

   I must admit publicly that within the Linux application environment that
right now I'm pretty lost on how all these apps are using sidechain
controls. Often when I admit I'm lost, one or two other lost souls come
forward and suggest they are a bit lost also.

   Taking Ardour as and example, when I insert an SC2 or SC3, where are the
sidechain controls coming from? Inside the compressor (expected) or from
some insert that I'm not hooking up correctly (possibly) or elsewhere?

   Again, sorry for being so dense...

Thanks,
Mark