Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI Clock and ALSA seq

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI Clock and ALSA seq
From: Allan Klinbail (allank_AT_labyrinth.net.au)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 14:52:56 EET

Not being a coder so you can all shout me down in flames if you like if
my response is misguided ..

> Thanks, but I really wanted someting with dynamic timing. Does this queue
> tie me to a particular BPM? All I wanted was to be able to put the tick
> out every 24th of the buffer.

Isn't the pulse of MIDI clock defined by the BPM, that's how all
instruments synced to MIDI clock work... I'm a little confused as to how
they would otherwise as BPM is the defining feature of MIDI clock....

SMPTE/MTC is another thing though, it is timed in frames and maybe that
is what you need here???

You should be able to alter the tempo in real time and MIDI clock send
those changes through the system so that all machines can see that
change.... i.e. my delay unit with MIDI controlled delay times only
looks at the BPM, nothing else. Also think of 2 drum machines synced
together... when one slows down the other must do exactly the same.

I hope this is useful... but it probably isn't

cheers

Allan