Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI Clock and ALSA seq

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI Clock and ALSA seq
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 15:43:24 EET

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 11:52:56 +1100, Allan Klinbail wrote:
> Not being a coder so you can all shout me down in flames if you like if
> my response is misguided ..
>
> > Thanks, but I really wanted someting with dynamic timing. Does this queue
> > tie me to a particular BPM? All I wanted was to be able to put the tick
> > out every 24th of the buffer.
>
> Isn't the pulse of MIDI clock defined by the BPM, that's how all
> instruments synced to MIDI clock work... I'm a little confused as to how
> they would otherwise as BPM is the defining feature of MIDI clock....

Not AFAIK. MIDI clock is just synced to bars and the receiving unit has to
lock onto the pulses.

I have a delay box that I wanted to sync to the software, its expecting 24
MIDI clock pulses per bar and will sync to that. I dont know if midi clock
explictly states the BPM, but I know this particular box will track
variably timed clock pulses in any case.

As it happens I just fudged it by programming the tempo manually and
sticking to one tempo. It worked ok :) but it isn't really what I wanted.

> You should be able to alter the tempo in real time and MIDI clock send
> those changes through the system so that all machines can see that
> change.... i.e. my delay unit with MIDI controlled delay times only
> looks at the BPM, nothing else. Also think of 2 drum machines synced
> together... when one slows down the other must do exactly the same.

Yes, but I wanted to be able to track dynamic tempos, and I dont what to
have to build a new queue for every bar. Also I wanted the beggining of
the bar to line up with the beggining of the sample loop, which requires
the pulse timing to be controlled by the player.

It could be that I just misunderstood the code Takashi sent out though.

- Steve