[linux-audio-dev] question re: hammerfall cards

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] question re: hammerfall cards
From: Thomas Vander Stichele (thomas_AT_urgent.rug.ac.be)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 18:38:34 EET

Hey,

I just got a new box and two hammerfall 9636 cards for a project at work.

The motherboard is a KT4 Ultra that has some onboard audio chip I don't
care about but can't turn off either in the bios.

I've put in the first hammerfall card, got alsa 0.9.0 rc7 from the
freshrpms site (it's a redhat box), and started configuring things.

I've got the feeling I'm missing some things, so here are some simple
questions.

a) It looks like the Hammerfall driver doesn't have a mixer interface, is
this correct ?
Here's an ls in the relevant dir:

[root_AT_framboos asound]# ls card0/
id pcm0c pcm0p rme9652

b) It looks like the onboard audio chip is controlled by an OSS driver, it
doesn't show up in the alsa drivers either, which is fine by me, since I'm
not going to use it. Is there any problem with OSS modules being loaded
at the same time as ALSA modules ?

c) I bought the card so I could record optical S/PDIF. The manual says I
need to tell the card that I want the ADAT1 Input source to be Optical
S/PDIF.

Right now I get, in /proc/asound/card0/rme9652:
[root_AT_framboos card0]# cat rme9652
RME Digi9636 (Rev 1.5) (Card #1)
Buffers: capture cdc00000 playback cda00000
IRQ: 5 Registers bus: 0xde000000 VM: 0xd088a000
Control register: 44008

Latency: 1024 samples (2 periods of 4096 bytes)
Hardware pointer (frames): 0
Passthru: no
Clock mode: autosync
Pref. sync source: ADAT1

ADAT1 Input source: ADAT1 optical

IEC958 input: Coaxial
IEC958 output: Coaxial only
IEC958 quality: Consumer
IEC958 emphasis: off
IEC958 Dolby: off
IEC958 sample rate: error flag set

ADAT Sample rate: 44100Hz
ADAT1: No Lock
ADAT2: No Lock
ADAT3: No Lock

Timecode signal: no
Punch Status:

 1: off 2: off 3: off 4: off 5: off 6: off 7: off 8: off
 9: off 10: off 11: off 12: off 13: off 14: off 15: off 16: off
17: off 18: off

Which I read as the Input source being ADAT optical instead of S/PDIF.
How do I set it to S/PDIF ?

d) the card came with a sub-D-connector that connects to the card's 15 pin
port, which branches off two RCA jacks. I don't suppose these RCA jacks
provide an analogue output by any chance on which I can monitor for sound
?

I'm sure I'll bug you with more questions later on, but these are the most
pressing ones at this point.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thomas

--

The Dave/Dina Project : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/ <-*- thomas (dot) apestaart (dot) org -*-> Oh, baby, give me one more chance <-*- thomas (at) apestaart (dot) org -*-> URGent, the best radio on the Internet - 24/7 ! - http://urgent.rug.ac.be/