Re: [linux-audio-dev] Fwd: CSL Motivation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Fwd: CSL Motivation
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 18:55:08 EET

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

[ Paul's msg I forwarded ]
> I am glad you did write JACK, although back then I thought it was just another
> try to redo aRts (and we had some heated discussions back then), because some
> people seem to like it. If some people will like CSL, why not?

And just to give you kde-multimedia people a view of the current status,
take a look at:

        http://jackit.sourceforge.net/apps/

JACK has been really been quite a success. The ability to run multiple
apps and route audio freely (and easily thanks to qjackconnect!) between
them, with reliable low-latency is something that has attracted a lot of
developers and users to JACK. A few screenshots (sorry about the
eca-emphasis :))...:

        http://eca.cx/screenshots/jack_and_ecamegapedal_under_heavy_load-20021102.png
        http://eca.cx/screenshots/qjackconnect_ecamegapedal_ecasignalview_jack-20021102.png

What I'm personally most impressed and proud about is that we've been able
to get developers from different (some directly competing) projects to
work together on this. Although linux-audio-dev is an active communicty,
actual code-level sharing so far has not been common.

It would be great if KDE (and GNOME) users could join the fun without
having to completely abandon desktop multimedia while doing this. The next
step would be to close the bridge between kde-multimedia and
linux-audio-dev... ;)

> If you added CSL support to JACK right now, you would never need to bother
> with any of the "sound server guys" like me again, because you could always
> say: "support CSL in your sound server thing, and then JACK will support your
> sound server".

Yup, I guess it wouldn't be too big of a task to adapt (for instance) the
ALSA's JACK PCM-plugin for the CSL API. Hopefully someone will do this.

Do you have any code in place that handles the backend detection for CSL?

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!