Re: [linux-audio-dev] POSIX clocks now in linux 2.5

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] POSIX clocks now in linux 2.5
From: Fons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_alcatel.be)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 16:49:59 EET

Paul Davis writes:
> >>From the 2.5.63 changelog:
> >
> > o POSIX clocks & timers
> >
> >Phat :)
>
> Super-Callifragilistic-Expealido-phat-cious!!
>
> finally, we can do real MIDI sequencing with Linux:
>
> while (1) {
> usleep (usecs_till_next_event);
> /* we're know its the right time,
> instead of being rounded to
> the default HZ
> */
> deliver_events ();
> }

Is this really new ? I was porting some C++ thread classes (originally
developed for Solaris) to 2.4.19 this week. The ITC mechanism uses
pthread_cond_timedwait(), which takes a struct timespec * referring to
an absolute time, the same you can get with clock_gettime(). I had the
impression this gave me almost microsecond resolution timing (but I did
not look closesly at the precision at the time).

--
Fons Adriaensen
ALCATEL SPACE