Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP spec - early scribbles

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP spec - early scribbles
From: Simon Jenkins (sjenkins_AT_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 18:12:49 EET

torbenh_AT_gmx.de wrote:

>On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 03:03:37AM +0000, Simon Jenkins wrote:
>
>>A general solution to the graph sorting problem would have to know about the
>>I/O dependencies *inside* the nodes. This isn't usually a problem on
>>the scale
>>where a node represents, for example, a simple filter or oscillator. But
>>what about
>>the scale where a node represents a quad noise gate or a reasonably
>>well-featured
>>mixer (ie with inserts etc)? Nodes like that aren't just difficult to
>>place correctly
>>in the execution order... they can be *impossible* to place correctly in
>>a very large
>>number of perfectly reasonable graphs: Different parts of their
>>internals need to
>>be executed at different times!
>>

>then these components must be built of other components...
>i dont see a reason why one wants a big complex component
>if it could be built from smaller components...
>(other than performace)

Absolutely they must be built out of other components. The question is:
who does the building? I'm saying that the plugin designer should be able
to present a complex "plugin" which is actually a ready-connected graph
of simpler components. The alternative is for the plugin designer to present
a "bag of bits" for the user to connect together.

Simon Jenkins
(Bristol, UK)