Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP again - channels, etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] XAP again - channels, etc.
From: torbenh_AT_gmx.de
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 07:05:53 EET

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 08:38:39AM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 08:30:22 +0000, Simon Jenkins wrote:
> > Something has to make this ramp/curve(/whatever), because at its
> > source (eg UI widget or incoming midi message) the toggling of a
> > switch *is* an event. But the rise and fall characteristics should
> > belong to the owner of the source, not to the destination. An app
>
> This is the fundamental problem here, the characteristics should belong to
> the receiver.
>
> FWIW I see little point pressing ahead with XAP, even if we were to come
> up with a novel representation system, I doubt the GMPI people would
> regard it as having enough pracical experience in the time between a XAP
> implementation and GMPI design stage, and rightly so. once GMPI exists
> there is little or no justification for anyone supporting XAP, even if it
> technologically superiour. Please bear this in mind.

we have one significant advantage over gmpi...
they (the commercial developers) can not distribute their source.

if we find a way to compile an XAP plugins into 1 frame processing code,
and galan-plugin, and ams plugin, and LADSPA etc...

something similar to your xml-ladspa but for all formats and machines...

there should be methods to get a gtk, qt or fltk widget from a plugin.

and this nice totally abstract port concept.

just some thoughts....

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language