Re: [linux-audio-dev] Art of free software (was Re: Audio* Project)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Art of free software (was Re: Audio* Project)
From: Tim Hockin (thockin_AT_hockin.org)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 13:48:15 EDT

> I know the feeling :( :)
>
> I also feel like free software can be a bit thankless sometimes. There

It's especially odd in the audio-space - a lot of develoipers are like
myself, I think - interested, but not trained in DSP.

It's also hard to start a big app. Everyone who wants to see a
sequencer/studio for linux has their own ideas about what should and should
not be in the app, and the general model. I know I do. I haven't
contibuted to any existing projects because it seems that no one has the
same vision that I do, and I don't want to go in and convert someone's app
to my vision.

> other realities that take up their time. I also have a project that I
> have been wanting to develop with others on. I think writing free
> software can best be done when one enjoys it. I find that if I'm always
> feeling like, this is for a good cause or some type of charity I start
> to feel like its never gonna end and I will never see that great reward
> I'm looking for. When I make the process of writing the software the
> reward, its what I live for and what I want to do. I have also longed

yes - I need my geek gratification, too.

> for interaction with others on projects, thats why I'm deciding to start

This is what I have the hardest time with. I LOVE bouncing ideas off
people, discussing, arguing, even fighting about things. I'm happy to be
proven wrong about stuff.

This is why XAP was so important to me - it's a HUGE part of what I want my
app to do. Getting a few brilliant people on it, evolved it a TON. I wish
the discussion hadn't stopped - the GMPI discussion won't be done for YEARS.
I'd like to plow ahead on my app, in the mean time. Anyone still interested
in XAP? Or my softstudio project? :)

Tim