Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gibson magic protocol

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gibson magic protocol
From: Martijn Sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 19:26:44 EEST

> Has anybody investigated the Gibson MaGIC protocol for use on Linux? It
looks like a perfect match: lots of audio channels and control data over
CAT5. Just buy a separate network card, port their protocol to Linux, and
then you could use their 16-in 16-out box, or get input directly from one of
their new guitars with the RJ45 port on it. The The only scary bit is that
the license is free "for the next10 years" only.

I may be wrong but I don't think this protocol will work with a
normal NIC. I'm not sure what (if any?) the advantages of this
protocol are over IEEE1394.

--ms