[linux-audio-dev] Found out what was wrong with my LADSPA manager programmer

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Found out what was wrong with my LADSPA manager programmer
From: Nick Tsocanos (nicktsocanos_AT_charter.net)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 01:05:12 EEST

More like a golden buddha child but hey...

I got them all working, it was problemos in my plugin manager code. The
plugins were fine.

Are you itching to know what the problem was? I'll tell you.

There is the mysterious number called NAN.

I found out where NAN was coming from.

I was calculating the log(number) to put in the control value The
culprit number=>0. Put 0 into log, and it makes NAN. Put NAN into plugin
dry/wet mix control, and plugin makes zillions of NANs. And all those
NANs will make your computer run slower than an Atari 800. What's even
worse is trying to convert NAN to an integer and play it on a sound
card.. I guess between the massive buffer underruns and trying to
synthesize all NANs was why I was hearing the most horrible noises I
ever heard in my life. I have no idea what NAN becomes when you cast it
to an int. Some demon posessed number I suppose. It doesn't sound like
white noise either.

If you want to hear the most hideous noise try it. Put log(0) into a
control volume and watch what happens. Try it with about 15 plugins at
once. It is super loud too.

I am sure it will destroy your speakers too. Don't try it with expensive
speakers.

Now which controls do it? A good many of them. It's not really a design
defect of the plugin programmer. I am sure, they don't expect anyone but
an idiot to put NAN into the control value. I didn't do it on purpose!
It was a mistake! A simple error on my part.

I hope somebody else has done this by accident too.. it'll make me feel
better...