Re: [linux-audio-dev] final scratch + native instruments

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] final scratch + native instruments
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 19:14:48 EEST

Hallo,
David Olofson hat gesagt: // David Olofson wrote:

> * There is a link "MAC - FAQ" ("MAC" as in Mac OS...? If so,
> it's another error.), including sections named "FS MAC" and
> "FS Linux". This is where it gets *really* weird:
>
> "Is FS for PC compatible with Windows XP?
>
> FS comes with its own Operating System, which is
> Linux-based. However, you will still need Windows
> for all other software. Windows XP is preferred
> for stability."
>
> WFT does that mean!? What's "all other software"?

Word. Internet Explorer. Cubase. There is no other software besides
that.

> To me, it sounds like you're supposed to run the real time
> audio engine on a dedicated Linux box, and "the rest" -
> which *might* include tools you need to actually use FS -
> on a Windoze box. Or maybe you don't really need Windoze
> at all, if FS does all you need...? Can't tell.

Final Scratch runs on Linux-x86. They "install" a desktop icon and
stuff on Windows, but when you "start Final Scratch" it reboots you
machine and starts Linux (probably with finalscratch in /etc/inittab)

Think Knoppix.

Stanton seems to see a need to hide the fact, that they run on Linux,
to the MS-Windows-based community. They must have found out in
marketing research, that the musician's community has a great fear of
Linux.

There are Howtos on the net, that explain how youcan install final
scratch on a real Debian Linux system without this stupid and for us
unneeded rebooting.

ciao