Re: [linux-audio-dev] Kylix

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Kylix
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 13:01:53 EEST

On 08 May 2003 19:15:20 -0400
nickt <nicktsocanos_AT_charter.net> wrote:

> What does the Open source community think of Kylix?

Well, I use this quote as my .sig ocassionally:

    "Hundreds of thousands of people couldn't care less about Kylix
    and what it runs on. It's there for the dying breed of die-hard
    Pascal fanatics who missed their 20 year window to migrate to C
    and C++." -- Kaz Kylheku in comp.os.linux.development.apps

It may not even be right, but it sure is funny :-).

> So far I think the GUI kits on Linux are a bit primitive compared to
> what I was using on Windows.
>
> I could do cool stuff with Kylix very easily. I think Borland C++
> Builder was the best development tool ever made for Rapid development
> work.

For getting stuff done fast, I like Python.

> And since I am a Rapid kind of guy it suited my way of doing
> things perfectly.

RAD is probably great for GUIs (and area where I am far from being an
expert) but sooner or later you need to write real code and for that
Kylix can't help.

> FLTK and GTK are not rapid tools, sorry, they just
> aren't, they are very clumsy for doing rapid prototyping with (but FLTK
> is better than GTK at this).

Have you tried Glade with GTK+?

> The only downside is people would need Kylix to compile my programs.

If your binary is available for Debian (kind of unlikely if it can only
be compiled with Kylix) then I might use it. However, if it has bugs,
I wouldn't try fixing them and I would not send you patches.

> It's a huge download and not everyone has cable modems.

Thats going to work against you. Python on the other hand already exists
on most Linux systems.

> I am most likely going to take the plunge and head to it. I think Kylix
> is the best thing to come to Linux yet. I just don't see anyone using it
> right now. I am not sure why.

My guess is that most people are happy with the existing development tools.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
I hack, therefore I am.