Re: [linux-audio-dev] New form of GPL licence that protects Linux from proprietary world [was: New powermacs?]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New form of GPL licence that protects Linux from proprietary world [was: New powermacs?]
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 10:29:17 EEST

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:16:52 -0400
"Ivica Bukvic" <ico_AT_fuse.net> wrote:

> > I really don't see this as a problem.
>
> Do you mind saying why?

Well people using libsndfile means that there are less people rolling
their own buggy implementations. This eventually means that libsndfile
has to handle fewer broken files due to someone else's buggy
implementation.

But th emain reason is that most audio software requires a GUI. Any program
that is Linux based will have an X11 GUI (at least to start with). On OSX
that GUI will always be slower that the Linux version. On mailing lists
for this software people will be told again and again that the performance
on Linux is better and sooner or later will want to try the real thing.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
Everything that I've learned about computers I have boiled
down into three principles:
  PC/Windows: You think it won't work, and it won't.
  Macintosh: You think it will work, but it won't.
  Unix: You think it won't work, but if you find the right
        guru, you can make it work.