Re: [linux-audio-dev] ableton live

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ableton live
From: Adrian Gschwend (ktk_AT_datacomm.ch)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 22:53:01 EEST

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 12:11:44 -0700, Lance Blisters wrote:

Hi Lance,

[...]
>timestretch and transpose. in fact, the more i learn about live the
>more similar it seems to what gdam has been doing.

sounds very interesting!

>hardware controllers include midi, joysticks, dancepad, "dj man"
>toy turntable, "thin air" interface based on ultrasonic rangefinders,
>any usb human interface device, etc. hardware control over almost
>everything, and an xml spec for writing "binding files" to accomplish
>complex macros and presets via any hardware controller.

wow sounds like you thought about many nice things :)

>if you work from gdam, you can get most of live's features
>by simply creating a custom skin which is compact and clean.
>there are a few limitations which require a little c programming;
>such as a tiny drift when swapping loops of different original
>tempos within the same channel. every shortcoming i've come across
>has been straightforward to fix, i just haven't gotten to all of
>them myself.

sounds perfectly well (yeah, I repeat myself)

>if you are interested, browse the website and ask me questions. i can
>describe in more detail how our skin system works. the latest linux
>release of gdam is a bit old, but the CVS version has the "turntable array"
>skin which offers much of live's functionality without the nice layout.

ok, I won't find the time until late autumn I guess (weather is simply
too good for coding here at the moment ;) but I definitely will have a
look at that later this year!

>finally, think long and hard and repeatedly before starting a new
>project. whether or not you work with gdam, it is often much much much
>better to start from an established project rather than create your own.

100% ACK, that was also one of the reasons why I wrote this mail. I
won't start to mess around with stuff other people did already. That's
what open source is about at the end, isn't it :)

>many one-person projects fail to meet their goals, there are dozens
>(hundreds?) of half-finished open-source audio apps. finding other people
>to work on your project can be difficult, especially if it is a new one;

I know that too good, I have a center for OS/2 open source software
(yes, still alive and kicking :) and I saw that way too many times the
past years.

thanks for your feedback, the page is bookmarked and I will give it a
try!

cu

Adrian

--