[linux-audio-dev] The file formats

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] The file formats
From: holborn (holborn_AT_telefonica.net)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 21:44:03 EEST

Hi all ...

Sorry for the english ... like always ..

Well ... recently i'm working on export gmorgan songs sequences in a Standart
Midi File format ... hope this will be ready in a few days ... and working
with this .mid format ... i think is to hard.

I understand ... in july of 1984 when the manufacturers adopts this standart
maybe .mid was really useful ... saves lots of space etc etc ... i ignore the
future plans of manufacturers ... but ... seeing sequencer programs, obvius
each one uses their own file format to work, and can only export or import
midifiles.

I know ... linux comunity is small ... we can't change nothing of the
manufacturer plans, maybe all of this is crazy thing, but i really think we
need a Standart Audio-Midi-SMPTE File Format, on witch the programs can work.

Well i understand ... by now we need this protocols to comunicate with
external devices ... but each day the computers are more powerfull and ... i
read in the last days messages about syncronization of Muse with Ardour .. or
Hydrogen ... ALSA sequencer ... and we need to doit with a 1984 protocol?

Well you know me .. i'm a complete ignorant ... but i think we need something
who runs almost internally in the computer for do this things. Maybe the ALSA
guys want to do something about that? or i'm realyy crazy? :-)

Josep