Re: [linux-audio-dev] Lots of stuff...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Lots of stuff...
From: James Shuttleworth (james_AT_dis-dot-dat.net)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 18:54:29 EEST

On Fri, 12 Sep, 2003 at 11:17AM -0400, Paul Davis spake thus:
<snip>
> use the source(s). read it. come to grips with it. please don't expect
> us to write white papers on software design for real time audio at the
> same time as writing real time audio software without pay!

I have 10p you can have. But seriously, I take your point.
I was just wondering if anyone had written these things down.
I don't mind buying a book, if it comes with a recommendation from the people on this list.
Although, if you *did* write this stuff down, I could buy a book *from* the people on this list :)

> Planet CCRMA is the closest thing i know of to this, but its for
> RPM-based systems only, perhaps even just RH.

Oh, well.

> > - Articles for developers and users
> > - FAQs that cover a whole host of apps
> > - Info on the current state of apps
> > - Pre-compiled packages that work together - something like demudi woul
> >d be good, but more as a work in progress system - something we could all use
> >to test software, interoperability, etc. in an environment that is (as much as
> > possible) what the end users will have.
> > - Tutorials, links, guidelines. Now, guidelines is a good idea!
> > - A big, all encompassing TODO list.
> > - A combined effort on documentation. I think a nice manual that cover
> >s a whole audio setup would be good.
>
> all sounds good. i take it you have the funds and or the time to make
> this happen?

I might be able to scrape together another 10p.

Time isn't something I have a huge amount of, either.
For now, I'll stick with the learning and write up what I find.

<snip>

> why don't you take an existing program and make it do something
> better, or something that it doesn't already do? your contribution
> will be more valuable, you'll learn from the inside out rather than
> outside in, and you still get to learn from mistakes (though they may
> not be your own). rather than creating Yet Another Tracker, you'll
> have done something that can be used by others (and yourself) very
> quickly.

I think you're right. CheeseTracker wasn't a bad IT clone - I think I'll have a
bash at adding a few features to that. Probably a good place to start. Anyone disagree?

Thanks