Re: [linux-audio-dev] LL-patch for SuSE kernel?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LL-patch for SuSE kernel?
From: Uwe Koloska (koloska_AT_voiceinterconnect.de)
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 12:04:05 EEST

Hello,

Takashi Iwai wrote:

> yes, suse kernel (since 8.1) already includes most of the
> necessary changes. some parts are missing but they are on
> the rare code path, which has been not audited quite well,
> anyway.

What does this mean?
- If I need low latency, I can use a SuSE kernel without
recompiling it? And don't have to bother about switching LL on
and off? (There is neither the kernel-config option "Low
Latency" nor somethin in /proc to switch it on)
- I can use the SuSE sources, but have to recompile? (with what
options?)

> the LL patch is a easy change. but it's pretty difficult to
> apply the preempt patch on the heavily modified kernel like
> suse's and redhat's.
>
> if you really need PE, try 2.6 kernel. it's better
> maintained.

What do I need the PE patch for?

I am still working at an answer to KEYBOARDS and will detail in
a later letter. For now only some questions:

- (like said above) to get low-latency on a stock SuSE 8.2, I
don't have to bother with the kernel and any configuration
(setting something in /proc) -- right?

- what is the reason for starting the init without full
capabilities? (to use jackstart, I have to rebuild the kernel
with all capabilities set for init -- but this was straightforward)

- when running jackd (from the very nice qjackctl with
jackstart) together with ardour and jamin, I get a number of
xruns. The same configuration under windowmaker doesn't seem to
have this problems. (I am trying to move my CD-mastering from
MacOS-X and Spark LE to Linux)

- the first thing to start with "real" audio under KDE is to
deactivate aRts -- right?

Uwe

--
voiceINTERconnect www.voiceinterconnect.de
... smart speech applications from germany