Re: [linux-audio-dev] Waveform audio API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Waveform audio API
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Sun Oct 12 2003 - 22:29:27 EEST

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 15:22:07 +0200
J_Zar <romaninz_AT_aruba.it>(by way of J_Zar <romaninz_AT_aruba.it>) wrote:

> I'm searching for an audio API to parse a .wav file and show its waveform.
> Someone knows something similar?
>
> If not, someone could tell me how to do it by myself?
>
> I mean if I open the file .wav and get one buffer at time,

libsndfile seems to be the standard:

    http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile/

> what I should do to know its waveform?

Well if you read the samples [1, 2, 3, 4, -4, -3, -2, -1] then the
waveform is something like:

                /|
               / |
              / |
             / |
                 | /
                 | /
                 | /
                 |/

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is
 to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies
 and the other is to make it so complicated that there are no
 obvious deficiencies."  --  C A R Hoare