Re: [linux-audio-dev] GMPI - requirements

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] GMPI - requirements
From: Tim Hockin (thockin_AT_hockin.org)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 21:23:22 EEST

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 06:51:16PM +0200, Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:

> * it should be elegant, or even beautiful
> * it should be fun to program with

Can't exactly put that in a requirements doc, though I think it is on my
mind :)

> * it *must* be easy to support in host applications

This is mentioned

> * it *must not* force any particular choice of toolkit or language upon
> the implementer of either the host or the plugin

The API will be C. GUI has not been discussed much..

> * it must be free without loopholes (bsd or lgpl)
> * specs and sdk must be available free-of-charge

I have covered both of these ;)

> * the surrounding community must be hospitable towards non-professional
> developers

This is not a req, but social engineering. I'm not worried about it. VST
has a wide base of amateur and hobbyist and open source developers.

> * both the licensing and the community atmosphere should not discourage
> closed-source commercial implementations while still conveying enough
> "free spirit" to make commercial vendors play fair and participate in or
> even donate something back to the community

This is a task for lawyers. The reqs doc does cover this, though.