[linux-audio-dev] Using Jack for "Control Volt" signals?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Using Jack for "Control Volt" signals?
From: iainduncan_AT_telus.net
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 05:36:23 EET

Sorry if this is the wrong place, please tell me where to ask if it is. I'm
wondering whether it will be possible, ( or if anyone is doing something
similar ) to use Jack to pass control signals between audio apps. I think it
would be extremely useful to be able to send the equivalent of PD wires or
Csound krate variables back and forth between different apps as if the were
Control Voltages, allowing the functionality of outboard CV modulars with
tools from more than one family. I am also interested in the possibility of
extending the same to outboard hardware, ie having control signals generated
and transformed between apps and then sent out as actual CV signals to
outboard modular components. I've been working on a real time step sequencer
in Csound that allows sophisticated real time sequencing of control signals in
the fashion of step sequencers and would like to know how I can perhaps
integrate my work with others. I am really just a Csound programmer, and not a
C developer ( yet ) so please excuse me if this is noise on the list. ; )

Also, does or will Jack allow signals to be lower bit depth or sample rate
when full audio resolutions is not necessary, or will it always be full audio?
I'm just thinking that maybe it would be good to be able to pass control
signals with less bandwith, but of course that would introduce other
complications. Is there any limit to the number of ins and outs Jackable? I
guess to make modular synthesis between various apps one would start using a
*LOT* of them.

Thanks,
Iain Duncan