Re: [linux-audio-dev] Using Jack for "Control Volt" signals?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Using Jack for "Control Volt" signals?
From: Fred Gleason (fredg_AT_salemradiolabs.com)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 06:14:13 EET

On Saturday 08 November 2003 22:36, iainduncan_AT_telus.net wrote:

> Also, does or will Jack allow signals to be lower bit depth or sample rate
> when full audio resolutions is not necessary, or will it always be full
> audio? I'm just thinking that maybe it would be good to be able to pass
> control signals with less bandwith, but of course that would introduce
> other complications. Is there any limit to the number of ins and outs
> Jackable? I guess to make modular synthesis between various apps one would
> start using a *LOT* of them.

AFAIK all of this should be possible, as the Jack API allows one to define
custom data types in addition to the default (32 bit floats). Most of the
Jack wizards hang out on the jackit-devel list, and I'm sure you could get
specifics there. For subscription info, see:

        http://jackit.sourceforge.net/lists/

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development |
| | Salem Radio Labs |
| The first duty of a revolutionary is to get away with it. |
| -- Abbie Hoffman |