Re: [linux-audio-dev] Using Jack for "Control Volt" continued

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Using Jack for "Control Volt" continued
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 10:11:02 EET

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 07:50:22PM -0800, iainduncan_AT_telus.net wrote:
> Sorry, forgot to ask a couple of things.
>
> Will Jack or other similar APIs allow passing of DC signal?

jack doesn't care what kind of signals pass through it.

> If so, do we have
> to worry about speakers blowing up or do soundcards protect against DC?

Most audio circuits include "coupling" capacitors that block
DC voltages. Transformers work too. I would be amazed if any soundcard
will pass a DC voltage.

> If not, can anyone tell me what the most CPU efficient way of
> modulating/demodulating a control signal might be? It occured to me that one
> could just use a very high frequency signal

remember that nyquist theorem limits the frequency to half the
sampling rate.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's ANCIENT COWARD! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)