Re: [linux-audio-dev] Using Jack for "Control Volt" continued

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Using Jack for "Control Volt" continued
From: David Olofson (david_AT_olofson.net)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 18:55:55 EET

On Sunday 09 November 2003 09.11, Paul Winkler wrote:
[...]
> remember that nyquist theorem limits the frequency to half the
> sampling rate.

OTOH, if there's only one control per channel, one could just modulate
with a "sine" at Nyqvist, and demodulate using fabs(sample). For two
signals at half the sample rate, use the sign to determine the signal
"subchannel" when demodulating.

However, as long as you stay digital, there should be no need for
modulation of control signals. AFAIK, JACK doesn't process the audio
data in any way in between clients.

You most probably *do* need to modulate if you need to go analog,
unless you use modified sound cards or industrial AD/DA boards for
the I/O. You'll have to use lower frequency carriers for analog I/O,
as anything at Nyqvist will probably (should!) be totally eliminated
by the converters.

| Free/Open Source audio engine for games and multimedia. |