Re: [linux-audio-dev] Programming resource question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Programming resource question
From: Iain Duncan (iainduncan_AT_telus.net)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 08:02:33 EET

Thanks Paul, Softwerk was already on my list of apps to look at it too. = )
Are you still working on that at all or is it taking a back seat to Ardour
and Jack right not? Also, did you make playback timing the top priority in
Softwerk? For example, while limited in scope, Propellorheads did a great
job with Rebirth of making sure that it acted like a 303 or 909; no matter
how much you hit the buttons or twisted the knobs, playback is always even.
The thing I'm working on is meant for live gigs, so for example I want to
make sure that if I execute a copy command, playback is fine even if the
copy command takes a little longer to execute and forces the next input to
wait a bit. I don't know enough C to know where to look in an app for that
kind of business. Any other suggestions anyone? Any good books introducing
this kind of thing? I'd like to find a bridge between basic C books and code
and reading code of fully featured complex apps.

> about porting it to a ucontroller - unless the ucontroller runs within
> a POSIX-like environment, i suspect that writing portable code for
> this will be rather hard.

Well I'm actually making more of toolkit for do it yourself modular live
sequencing systems. So the idea is that one might use parts of it on PC,
port parts to Pic chips, or run parts coded in something like Csound or PD.
At the moment the whole thing is a gigantic Csound ensemble heavily tailored
around my own personal gear set up, so I haven't had to worry about any low
level stuff yet. But I would like to start modularizing it and making it
available to other people and platforms. It works well in Csound, but file
i/o is kluderific so I'd like to get that kind of stuff going in C as well.

Thanks,
Iain