Re: [linux-audio-dev] Programming resource question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Programming resource question
From: Iain Duncan (iainduncan_AT_telus.net)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 11:37:27 EET

> softwerk is totally designed like this. you get it for free by using
> an MVC programming design. (almost) nothing that happens in the GUI
> can stall the engine. softwerk itself likes to use the RTC for timing
> purposes. running the engine thread SCHED_FIFO is also a key
> ingredient of this.

Cool, I think this will be a good course of study for me. However, for me
and other newbies, what does MVC stand for, and any hints on learning more
about it?

> i haven't read any books on MVC per se, although they exist. "design
> patterns" (gamma et al.) is always a good place to start (though it
> assumes an OOP orientation, to some extent). the simplest way to do
> MVC is to partition your app into an engine and a GUI with a defined
> communication protocol between them (function calls, TCP/IP,
> whatever). don't allow the engine code to include any GUI headers or
> reference any GUI objects. never. under any circumstances. jMax goes

Ok, that's good news. That's how my project has been designed anyway. The
engine is seperate from the user interface, which is in turn seperate from
the GUI. Thanks for your help.

Iain