Re: [linux-audio-dev] deconvolver for IR creation anyone?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] deconvolver for IR creation anyone?
From: Denis Sbragion (d.sbragion_AT_infotecna.it)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 19:06:37 EET

Hello,

I already answered Uwe in his private e-mail. I copy also here my answer in
case it is of general help.

At 17.28 09/12/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>But, how can I learn to use it in such a way??? I haven't found
>any clue on the web page how to use a binary file as input data
>for bruteFIR. Are your scripts helpful in that?

no, this is in the BruteFIR documentation. BruteFIR accepts a lot of input
formats, including many binary formats, and the DRC output is, of course,
one of those supported. Look at the "Input and output structure" section of
the BF documentation:

http://www.ludd.luth.se/~torger/brutefir.html#config_4

there's the full list of supported formats. This list applies also to the
"Coeff structure":

http://www.ludd.luth.se/~torger/brutefir.html#config_3

which is the one that loads the filters. DRC, with the default
configurations files, outputs "FLOAT_LE" filters.

>Could you please send me these scripts. Since I am far more
>better in UI design than in algortihmic debugging -- I hope to
>make a nice tool from this skripts.

See the attached file. There are two examples for 44.1 Khz & 96 Khz
measurement (shell scripts + BF configuration). (Scripts not attached here,
of course. If anybody else is interested just write me in my private e-mail).

>What do you use for creating the sweeps?

I used the Aurora plugins from Angelo Farina:

http://www.ramsete.com/aurora/

They're not free but they're free enough for my needs :) Anyway it's pretty
easy to code the log sweep procedure, I simply never found the time to do
it myself. If you want I can send you an AES paper (1.3 mb PDF) with
detailed explanations of the procedure and a complete comparison with other
measurements methods (log sweeps win hands off).

>Let's make the linux convolution reverb real!

Aehm, to tell the true for me it's real since at least two years now :)
Let's change it to "let's make the Linux convolution reverb for the
masses". The convolution tools available for Linux are at the same time the
most sophisticated and the most difficult to use in the world. For sure DRC
is within the most difficult to use. May be it's because I developed it and
I'm also a Linux fan? :) AFAIK there are no more than a couple dozen people
in the whole world which are actually using it, and it's on the Internet
since almost one and a half year now.

Bye,

--
	Denis Sbragion