Re: [linux-audio-dev] cdparanoia fails / audiofile comparer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] cdparanoia fails / audiofile comparer
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 23:05:30 EET

>From: Fred Gleason <fredg_AT_salemradiolabs.com>
>
>The bottom line: your CD reader is too broken to reliably rip audio. In
>particular, the 'unreported loss of streaming' error indicates buggy firmware
>in the drive.

Yeah, it is one of those HP devices (Sony inside), not cheapest device
as I preferred quality. Of course, it could be a bug or design flaw
in cdparanoia as well. That is what I would like to developers to look
at. Why would a CD device output data with channels swapped? Why
would a CD device have an align problem when CD reads ok
(after the "!" location)? It could be that cdparanoia falls down at the
"!" location and does not come up even it could. Because it could
be either the CD device or cdparanoia which falls down, I would
not rush in to the final report as fast as you did. Things should
be examined.

I yet have to test ripping starting after the bad location. If that
works ok, then cdparanoia could just restart after getting "!"
errors, right?

Yes, I have a hardware problem, specially when using CDROM
but also with disks. Buggy IDE I think, or Linux does not support
Intel IDE well (4.?.18 kernel). Anyone would have a couple of years
old spare motherboard and could send it free for me?
I would not like to buy a new one (because I have no money) because
I would then yet again have to wait for 1.5 years before I get new
enough Linux for having full support for the chips (or again to find out
that the new kernel won't help at all).

Regards,
Juhana